IELTS writing task 2 discussion or discuss both views questions
These particular tasks require a different approach to opinion essays because you have to discuss both sides rather than just argue in favor of one side. Thus, you will lose mark if you do not do as asked to.
In this post, we shall look at the following points:
• Identifying the question
• Example Questions
• Sample Answer
• Marking criteria
Identifying the Question
Look at the three questions below and choose one you think is a discussion question.
1. Computers are being used more and more in education and so there will soon be no role for the teacher in education.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
2. Computers are being used more and more in education.
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages and give your own opinion.
3. Computers are being used more and more in education. Some people say that this is a positive trend, while others argue that it is leading to negative consequences.
Discuss both sides of this argument and then give your own opinion.
The first question is an opinion question and we can tell this from the instructions 'To what extent do you agree or disagree?
The second question is obviously an advantages and disadvantages question.
The third question is the discussion question. We can tell this from the typical instructions in the question 'Discuss both sides of the argument and then give your opinion'.
You may also be asked to 'Discuss both views and give you opinion' or 'Discuss both sides of the argument and give your opinion'.
Each of these questions is asking us to do different things and we therefore need a different structure for each question.
Here are a few other typical discussion questions:
1. A growing number of people feel that animals should not be exploited by people and that they should have the same rights as humans, while others argue that humans must employ animals to satisfy their various needs, including uses for food and research.Discuss both views and give your opinion.
2. Blood sports have become a hot topic for debate in recent years. As society develops it is increasingly seen as an uncivilized activity and cruel to the helpless animals that are killed. All blood sports should be banned.
Discuss the main arguments for this statement and give your own opinion.
3. Some people think that the best way to reduce crime is to give longer prison sentences. Others, however, believe there are better alternative ways of reducing crime.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.
As you can see, they typically state two opinions and then ask you to discuss both and give your opinion. Make sure you do these things in the essay. If you only discuss both views and fail to give your opinion you will lose marks.
Sentence 1- Paraphrase question
Sentence 2- State both points of view
Sentence 2- Thesis statement
Sentence 3- Outline sentence
Paragraph 1 Arguments for the view you support
Paragraph 2 Arguments for the view you support
Paragraph 3 Arguments to support the other view
Sentence 1- Summary
Sentence 2- State which one is better or more important
Some people think only students who achieve the best academic results should be rewarded; whereas, others think it is more important to reward students who show improvement. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Rewards are one of the motivations that students need in their studies. However, some people believe that only the top students are entitled to a reward whereas others think that those who are improving deserve to be rewarded. I agree with the view that both types of students should be rewarded.
Firstly, it is obvious that the best students by all means should receive a prize as these students make much more efforts than others to their studies. These top players, consequently, will gain a stronger sense of self-motivation to reach a higher goal and also set a good example to other students. So by introducing material awards in the first place, it's beneficial for students who will be progressing dramatically.
The opposite view supports those who make progress in their schoolwork. School education should not solely focus on a few straight-A students. Instead, schools should care about all students' improvement in academic studies. Therefore, whoever achieves a better performance should receive the incentive afterwards so that further improvement can be boosted, which in other words encourages the students to try harder.
In short, both the ones that excel in their learning and the ones that keep improving deserve to be rewarded. The fundamental purpose of a school reward is to recognize the achievement of a student and encourage the receiver to chase a higher goal. Though the prizes may be different based on the level of a student's achievement, there is no point in ignoring either the best performers or the slowly improved ones.
Do keep in mind these points when you practice writing.
• Task achievement
• Coherence and cohesion
• Lexical resource
• Grammatical range and accuracy